I’ve Started

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 166 total)
  • Author
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Good valid comments Michael about the plastic coated ones. I have been to a shop and bought off the shelf. They are not plastic coated as I have to order those (which I will) and I do not want to stop progress.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Yes Michael I have thought about the sandpaper on the lettering. As you say it will look good but once the paint is broken it leaves the aluminium open to corrosion so I am not sure yet.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

By the way Guys I used Halfrauds own Satin Gloss black paint. For some unknown reason this is resistant to Dot 4 brake fluid. However I have been told that DOT 5.1 fluid is safe with paint so as a double precaution I am going to try that.

Michael
    Participant

Hi KK,

NO, NO, NO !!!

DOT5 is a complete different beast and should not be used with our Twins !!!

DOT4 is fine and the latest stuff we should use.

Not sure about your clutch conversion, but don’t use DOT5 in the stock brakes !

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

WOW. That is a big shout Michael. I don’t know why you say that but I will go with what you say. I had not heard of DOT5.1 until 3 days ago. Great advice.

Thank You

KK

Michael
    Participant

The letters on the covers, once “polished” by fine sand paper, are very resistive against corrosion.
    Of course it is still pure aluminium and it may corrode.
    When cleaning the bike, just spray any care product (silicone spray, WD40, etc.) to the covers and firmly rub it with a piece of cloth.
    From time to time a little polish, maybe with really fine sand paper, that’s all. The letters on the cover will stand that longer than we can ride our bikes !
    The brake cover still looks good with “The Black Lady” after about 20 years 🙂
    I would do it again 🙂
    Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Great, I was heard 🙂

It is about the chemicals it is made of.
    The rubber material of the stock brakes can’t stand the “new” DOT5.

DOT4 is very similar to DOT3, both can be used and they can even be mixed. DOT3 is not available in Germany since many years. DOT3-brakes can be used with DOT4-fluid without any issue. DOT5 is something different.

You may compare it to the added amount of Ethanol in the fuel.
    Up to 5 or 6% is ok, 10% is to much.
    All rubbers in the fuel system will die when that will be used.

Difference of DOT3/4 and DOT5 is even more than that.
    Might be like comparing fuel or oil or even water just as an example.
    All of them are liquids but have complete different chemical “background[?]” !

That’s the reason why the letters on the covers say: “Use DOT4 only!”
    On the other hand the latest bike and car models should have a cover that states “Use DOT5 only!”

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That is very good to know Michael. Thank You. I knew about DOT3 and DOT4 but DOT5 is new to me.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Well not a great deal of progress has been made since my last post as I am trying to locate fine pitch screws. I have changed my DOT5.1 to DOT4 on my travels. Managed to fasten the discs on and also my new headlight bracket. Have put the mudguard on too.

I have a bit more running around to do in the morning but I am hoping to get stuck in later in the day.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I am battling on today but I have to keep coming in to warm my hands as its a very cold day out there. So far I have managed to rebuild and fit the calipers, rebuild and fit the master cylinders and refit the switch gear. Everything is becoming a challenge though in its own right. The biggest one at the moment is the front wheel. For some reason it seems to be about 2mm off centre to the forks. Strange. Both discs are almost touching on the right hand side of their respective calipers. It was the same with my CSR forks but I was able to space the caliper from the forks with a couple of washers. I am wondering if the wheel is actually from a Y LTD model as I thought it was.

I can’t fix the issue as I did with the CSR forks as that would work OK with the left caliper but I would need to modify the braket on the right hand side.

Time to call my engineer I think.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Front view of Left Caliper

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Front view of Right caliper

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Handlebars front and rear views hee hee

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Clutch cylinder off ZRX1200 fitted to CSR casing

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I think I might have found the reason as to why the wheel appears to be to the right hand side. I think it is to do with the speedo drive. I have used Y LTD forks, discs, calipers and wheel. I have used a CSR receiver and gear box assembly. It is my guess that they are different.

The part No’s for the CSR are
    Receiver – 41064-1006
    Gearbox assy – 41078-1013

I also believe wheel collar 92027-1225 may be different too.

I do not have the equivalent part numbers for the Y LTD model. Can anyone help me out here please?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 166 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this