Tango’s B1 update.

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress Progress Reports Tango’s B1 update.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Tango
    Participant

🙂 Cool that’s Two more jobs off the list. 😉

That’s the Front Brake line swapped for a shorter one.
    And the Rear Goodridge Braided hose fitted, and everything bled up ;-).

They may need fettling but I ran out of brake fluid 🙁

So I am pretty pleased Today has been a productive day! 😀

Tango
    Participant

😡 Didn’t Get it all done in a day! 😕 But like Andy said, I managed to get Most! of it done! 😀

By my reckoning All I have left to do off my list is

1) Fit the New Exhaust
    2) Get a New Rear Tyre fitted
    3) Finish the spokes on the Rear Mag Wheel.

Oh Yer and buy some Good Quality oil to fill her back up with!

What is Best in one of these Bikes?

I would Guess it will be Semi Synthetic 10/40.

But dose anybody have a Favourite Make?

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

you are a hard-working man !

Motor oil for our bikes should only be mineral, no semi or full synthetic.
    Clutch and gaskets love / need the mineral oil 😉
    Full synthetic oil reduces friction even in our clutches, so they will start to slip !

I have tested 20W-50 after many years with 15W-40 and I am very satisfied !
    As I don’t ride these Twins below 0°C (freezing point), I have no issue at all with 20W-50 and I believe the motor is running a little bit smoother than with 15W-40.

Cheers, Michael

Tango
    Participant

That’s Great Thanks Michael :pint:

Can we even still buy just Standard Mineral Oil?

You Only ever see Semi or Full Synthetic on shelves these days?

So you think I should go with 20/50

I have No!! intention to Ride the Twin or Any other bike in temperatures below 0°C 😳 😕

Would 20/50 be OK even with a tight new built engine? or would it be to thick? Sorry if that’s a Stupid Question? But I was just wondering if it makes a differance 😕

Michael
    Participant

Yes, mineral oil is still available.
    Should be mentioned explicite on the container.

You may use a cheap mineral oil speced 10W40 or 15W40 during the running-in period. It flows easier and wear may be a little higher, as intended for running in.
    After 1.000 km / 600 miles it should be swapped incl. oil filter.

If you “just” got barrels bored and new pistons and rings, 20W50 would be fine as well for running-in.

If you have got new bearing shells at crankshaft and/or connecting rods,
    1.000km with cheaper 10/15W40 may be a good idea.
    Then swap it to 20W50.

A word about pricing:
    15W-40 is available at any supermarket or discounter. Offer is around 20,- Euros for 5 liters.
    20W-50 is only available in “biker stores” and cheapest one we can get is approx 25,- Euros for 4 liters.
    In the end not such a huge difference.
    Both are far below pricing of full synthetic motor oil.

Cheers, Michael

Marko
    Participant

Hi Tango,

it’s nice to see all the progress! I see that you replaced the brake lines and I need to change the brake line on the front for shorter one, so I am considering whether to choose rubber or braided steel line. Can you tell me if there is any difference in braking with the braided line?

Cheers,
    Marko

Tango
    Participant

Marko I wont really be able to tell if there is a difference, as I had a braided hose on the front already. It was just that it was to long!

The Back Brake was a rubber hose But I don’t think it will be a massive difference in Braking performance!

I wanted to put Covered Braided hoses on because they are better quality, and they don’t weaken and bulge when you put your brakes on! And if you get good quality hoses like Goodridge that has a plastic coating over the braid, This stops Osmosis, ( The absorption of water into your brake fluid.)

Michael
    Participant

Hi Marko,

the braided (“Steel Flex”) brake lines are much better !

The feeling of the “pressure point” is much more exactly than with rubber lines. Overall braking performance is limited to blocking the wheel, but the way and the feel to come to this point or to avoid it, is much more precice using the steel flex lines.

In the end they will last for ever, while rubber lines needs a replacement every four (4) years! Standard regulation with all major bike manufacturers, but who does that ?

Always use any kind of plastic coated ones (you may choose the color). This will work against dirt getting into the metal mesh (uncleanable!) and sort out any damage done to other components (front mud guard, frame, fork, horn, etc.)

Selecting steel flex lines should match original fixing points and angles of the attached joint brackets(?).

Steel flex lines are ready available incl. a certificate (TÜV, MOT, etc.) for your model (S1, don’t think so) or may be manufactured following your specification incl. certificate.
    Typically no or just minor price difference.

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Braided hoses only really make a difference if your rubber hoses are quite old. When the rubber deteriorates an amount of the pressure applied at the lever is lost with the hose wall expanding. When they are new there is nothing between them as far as performance goes.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Tango you ain’t finished this thing yet???

You just seem to slack when I’m not there to beat you with a stick.

Well done buddy that’s a good days work. I’m impressed 😎

Tango
    Participant

KK Has threatened to get his Beating Stick out again! So I have now Removed the Back Wheel, and it has been taken for the New Rear Tyre fitted! I should have it back by weekend? So when I get it back But before it is re fitted I will sort the Rear Wheel to match the front wheel.

Tango
    Participant

Well it has been a very productive weekend this weekend!:-)
    It was nice to meet Scavpan & Dougyt on Saturday, Guys thanks for a warm reception. It really was a pleasure to meet you 😉

I managed to get my wheel back today.
    So as I said I would I set to matching it to the front one.

Tango
    Participant

As you can see in the above Before and After photos I have put the spokes on the Mag Wheel back in by rubbing them back down to the Ally to make them stand out! 🙂

I was going to concentrate on servicing my car today! But I had a small Problem! … My car would not go onto my ramps as the front skirt on the bumper hit the ramp before the wheels! 😕

Oh Well! I will just have to get my mate to do it at the garage!

So On ward and more Progress on the Twin! 😀

I must Thank My Wonderful Wife! for being so understanding and supportive, of my Project. As Today is Mothers day and Not only was I out picking up parts, before she got up! 😳 I have now spent the best part of the afternoon working on the bike outside! So I have not really seen her much today! 😳 😕 🙁

Tango
    Participant

But I am happy with how much I have got done!

I sorted the rear wheel out & got it fitted back onto the bike & tensioned the chain.

I picked up some oil this morning, some Silkolene Classic 20/50 Mineral oil;-) So that has been put in the bike after fitting the new sump plug that has an added magnet;-)
    So that’s the oil change complete
    And I have also got the Exhaust fitted:-D
    Oh and just to make sure I put my multi meter on the battery to recheck the bike was still charging, and she is it read 13.4 on idle and went upto about 14.96 when I increased the Revs;-)

So here is where im at now! 🙂

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

good work done !
    Rear wheel has the Star Design again and new BT45 is always great.
    Good to know that you have got the “right” oil 😉

Quality of todays pictures is poor.
    Can’t see if it is already done?
    Matching the Star Design you can “polish” the edge of the cooling fins at cylinder and head.
    As these parts are black as well, doing that pushes the appearance of the bike even further 🙂

I’ve done it with “The Black Lady” and I am very happy with that.
    Used some files, sanding paper and a “sanding sponge” to achieve that.
    Not a great deal and no need to get it perfect at the first time, but still the result is very impressive, IMHO.

Cheers, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this