Hi from Karl

Home Forums New Member Introductions Hi from Karl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Evening all,
    I have just started to strip my engine, not sure of the year, its in chop frame and has been rotting away in a shed somewhere for a very long time. Inlet cam appears to be slightly out, no damage but blew back though inlet valves. The cam chain tensioner is wrong, no springs and no plunger, just a thin rod, I think this is why valve timing was slightly out, chain jumped a tooth. My question is is this a common modification on old kawasakis or just a rough arsed bodge to compensate for a worn out camchain?
    Cheers
    Karl

(Moved to forum by KK)

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Karl and welcome to the forum.

I have moved your post to the forum so people can see it. The forum is the place for these discussions.

The situation you describe are not any normal thing I have ever come across and I think you are lucky if there is no permanent damage done to the engine. You should NOT run the engine without fitting the correct parts. I can supply these if you need them. I think you were very polite describing it as ‘a rough arsed bodge’ as it is just butchery and someone who does that should not be allowed anywhere near tools let alone a bike.

Please post some pictures of your bike and the problem area so I can determine exactly what you will need. I can also tell you what the bike originated from if you supply me with the frame and engine numbers.

Cheers

KK

Karl
    Participant

I have now stripped engine down to the crank. I will attempt to attach a few pictures.  I think the cam chain is worn out and that and the buthchers handiwork brought the bike to a halt. Engine sump was full of sludge, guessing condensation/oil mix but nothing appears broken apart from one cracked oil scraper ring. I have a question about the main bearings, the crank looks fine the shells however look pitted. Big ends may be the same though there’s no up and down play, a little side to side. Can they be used or do I need to replace, no experience with these type of bearings. Cheers.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Blimey Karl that is a very sorry state engine.

As you suggest much of it is recoverable but it raises suspicion with the whole motor. The sludge is definitely a mixture of oil and water and the main question is what other bits has it damaged if that mixture has been circulated. Looking at the oil filter gauze there appear to be shards of metal which you need to determine where they have come from.

The attempted assembly of the cam chain adjuster is absolutely appalling and could never work without causing further damage. I can supply the missing parts.

The main bearing shells are damaged but it is questionable s to whether or not they are still usable. Ideally they should be replaced but they are like hens teeth to find and very expensive. I have a set here but at £160 they are for an absolute emergency. It should run with those bearings but you would need to monitor it very closely and stop running the bike if you detect any strange bottom end rumblings.

Recovering that engine to new spec is a mammoth if not virtually impossible task and would not be a quick or cheap job probably costing hundreds of pounds..

My suggestion to you would be to source another engine complete or part engine and make the best out of the 2. Again I may be able to help you there also but would need the engine number.

Whereabouts are you and do you have any pictures of the bike before it was stripped that you could share?

Cheers

KK

Karl
    Participant

KK

Engine now stripped and cases cleaned out nothing else wrong found, lumpy bits in sump mainly silicate and gasket, very little metal. I have since spoken to fella who repairs blown up speedway engines, he thinks shells may have life left in them, suggested gentle polish with fine scotchbright and thin oil. Parts I will need, full gasket set, set of standard rings plus circlips, new camchain and second hand tensioner. I have found (but yet ordered) everything bar rings. Head will need a service, shims and maybe new valves z power has them in stock. Plan is to put motor back together and paint it black with polished outer cases and see how it goes. As for pictures I will have a, look see if I can find any, this bikes been in back of my garage for a while waiting its turn. Only the engine is kawasaki, front end is triumph, back wheel started life in an early xs650, the frame is one off built to good standard, but footrest brackets etc had been added by someone with no idea and have now been cut off and redone. I would think the bike would have been built in the mid eighties and has spend the majority of its life abandoned in a shed, a damp shed. It was missing a lot of parts and was very rusty. I live in Northwich Cheshire which is also very damp at the moment

Karl

Karl
    Participant

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

My God Karl you’ve got your work cut out with that one but full respect for taking it on. Think I remember seeing it on ebay? For your information the engine is a 1976/1977 B1 or B2.

If I have read your post right you have managed to get all you need except for rings. That I am impressed with but I am surprised you say Zpower have valves. I am very close with them and bought all their 750 twin parts. I used to work there and that is where I get my stuff at discounted prices which allows me to sell them cheaper in the shop here.

Let me know if you want rings but check they are standard size.

I am looking forward to seeing the progress of this.

BTW I’m near Manchester, not far from you.

Cheers

KK

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Kaptainkwak.
    Karl
    Participant
    Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

It’s amazing what a wash can do. Still a lot of work to be done though.

Spoke to Phil at Zpower and he doesn’t think he has the valves but will check Monday and let me know. If you’ve seen valves I’m guessing the will be for a 4 pot but’s let’s see.

If you send me a definitive list of what you want I will put a price together. I definitely have the rings.

Cheers

KK

Karl
    Participant

KK

Ok thanks , new parts req:

Full gasket set

Cam chain

Std rings (78mm)

Gudgeon pin clips

That will let me get bottom end back together and make room on bench,

Not stripped head yet, so won’t know if valves are 100% till then and won’t know if I need shims till head is on so hold them for now but good to know price and availability.

Used parts req:

Cam chain tensioner

Kicker outer cover

Pair exhaust clamps, that hold pipes onto head, I have made a pair but if you have a pair knocking about maybe better bet.

Thats it I think thanks

Karl

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Karl

Please see below

Full gasket set – I only have top end gasket sets at the moment. They covering everything from the large ‘O’ ring on the bottom of the barrels up except for the valve guide seals. I have got Clutch cover, Points cover, Generator cover, Transmission cover, Clutch adjuster cover and Oil pump gaskets separately and can add them if this helps you. It does work out a bit more expensive as it costs me more to buy this way.

Cam chain – Yes

Std rings (78m) – Yes

Gudgeon pin clips – Yes. I have the Gudgeon pins (new) as well if you need them.

Used parts req:

Cam chain tensioner –  Just the Plunger and both Springs?

Kicker outer cover – Yes

Pair exhaust clamps, that hold pipes onto head, I have made a pair but if you have a pair knocking about maybe better bet. – Yes

As soon as you confirm exactly what you want I will work out the price.

Cheers

KK

Karl
    Participant

Evening kk

I thought I replied to your last message for definite list this afternoon when I got up ( off nights) but cant see it. Did I do it wrong again?

Karl

Karl
    Participant

Ok try again and press submit this time!

Can you work out prices for the rings,  gudgeon pin clips (pins not needed), full gasket set, also seals (clutch push rod, gearbox, kicker, points, valve guide, any i missed?)

Also kicker cover, and exhaust clamps. As for camchain tensioner plunger and springs is all need i think? If you don’t want to split please price for complete unit.

Thanks

Karl

coleighf
    Participant

Good luck Karl! That’s quite a challenge.
    Cheers,

Colin.

Karl
    Participant

Thanks Colin 😊

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this