Hi from Karl

Home Forums New Member Introductions Hi from Karl

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Karl
    Participant

Ok thanks,

see how we go, fingers crossed

Karl
    Participant

KK

Shim arrived yesterday,  thanks, tried it this afternoon on one of the exhaust valves, gave me a gap of 0.08mm result! I wont be checking the other three for a few days as I am now on nights. Light at the end if the tunnel?

Karl

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Well indeed a positive start Karl. I’ve picked up some more shims so we should be fine whatever sizes you need.

KK

Karl
    Participant

Well true to form  its not giving in easily, checked the rest today, no gaps. I spoke to dave that did the valves and seats for me and he said will grind enough off the valve tips to give me 0.10mm using my original 2.65mm shims, or at least thats the plan. Good to know you have more shims just in case!

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

It is likely that the re cutting of the valve seats has reduced the gaps significantly. Grinding the valve stems is one way of combatting that issue if re shimming isn’t able to sort it out. I also believe it is also possible to grind the shims as they are hardened through and not just surface hardened. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

KK

Karl
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Two trips to Preston (so far) to try and get a gap, my first lot of working out didn’t include the gap! Thankfully dave is a patient man. He warned me that we might loose the gap after doing the valves and seats, but they were no use as they were. Hoping they are ready tomorrow,  if not it will be another week before I can get them picked up. Dragging on a bit now….</p>

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Karl

Preston isn’t that far from me so if I can help there just shout up.

I assume he is grinding the valve stems down to create a gap. We can also grind shims if needed. I believe they are hardened through not just the surface.

KK

Karl
    Participant

Yes mate, hes taking a little off the valve tips. He mentioned getting shims done but he doesn’t have the right equipment for that. He’s taking the 0.1mm for the gap off today, that I forgot to factor in. There was no gap at all, in fact to start with the back of the cam lobe where to take your gap measurement from was pressing against the shims so the valves were not really shutting. Perhaps this was the real reason it was blowing back out of the inlets when you kicked it over, not valve timing? Thanks for the offer, with a bit of luck this will be my last trip for this job and I can get on with finishing the engine.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Fingers crossed Karl. One way or another we will get it done even if you have to get a new head but hopefully it won’t go that far.

KK

Karl
    Participant

Ok, valves refitted for second time, still not right but made a step in the right direction,  I now have a gap on all valves using the 2.3mm shim.you sent me to try. I Will attach a picture  of my workings out,  can you double check the figures and can you now supply the correct sized shims?

Karl

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Great news with that and you are spot on mate. Will get the shims out and send you a PM

KK

Karl
    Participant

KK

Shims arrived today,  fitted and gaps are good. Depending on work I might get cams in and a lick of paint on it on Monday.

Thanks

Karl

Karl
    Participant

Been a bit quiet lately,  been busy last couple weeks with an old lathe I bought without really thinking through how to move it! Job done now, back.to the kawasaki,  final piece in the puzzle (engine wise) was an oil pump gasket, now sorted by Andy off this site, thanks. Cleaned and sprayed the engine,  probably a bit cold but I won’t be touching it for another week, back on shift tomorrow

SquadronLeader
    Participant

yes, good luck with your project, keep the pictures coming.

paul

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

After all the work you have put into this I just want her to run sweetly.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this