Hi from Karl

Home Forums New Member Introductions Hi from Karl

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Karl
    Participant

Evening all

Picked he top end up  back up from vapour blasting today
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

Karl
    Participant

JJ

thanks, I didn’t pay very much for this bike, I put a cheeky bid in on ebay thinking I might be able to use the frame, and won! Its then sat in the back the garage for over 12 months before i had a proper look, I downloaded a manual and i decided to see if the engine was salvageable. If I bought an engine I would still strip it to check it before I would trust it as KK said, there old bikes and the newness will have worn off by now, Ebay is full of bikes or engines that turn over and have compression, its no guarantee of anything.

What the plan with yours

And yes kk I will likely need the shims as you suggested,  now the valves and seats have been done, will find out when top end is together.

Cheers Karl

jimmyjaz
    Participant

Afternoon yes you are probably right on the rebuilding of the engine,it will give you peace of mind when it’s all done,and you seem to be flying along.My rebuild is doddle as it just needs finishing off,its 90% done judging by the photos I am still trying to organise transportation to get it up here.I have another one in bits up the road that a mate of mine is storing plus various other engine bits if you can’t source them i.e. barrels,crank ect let me know if you want anything cheers jj

Karl
    Participant

Ok thanks

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

It’s always handy to have a pile of bits when restoring one of these twins. Some things do need to be replaced with new parts but there is a great satisfaction when you manage to restore a 40+ year old part so it looks new.

If you are getting rid of any parts please shout up here.

KK

Karl
    Participant

KK

One step forward,  two back….

Back in the garage engine biggest part done, come to fit valves and have managed to loose valve spring seats! I remember I couldn’t grip them to get them out, forgot to mention to the vapour blasting lads, possibly still there, if I am lucky.  If not have you any? Also  went to pick frame up which looked great, apart from around headstock, some contamination from under bearing races, so that’s gone back in to be redone.

Buggeration.

Karl

Karl
    Participant

I have ordered some 25×35 1mm shims which should do the job. Attached are pictures of broken fin repair and where I am up to so far. Patience is a virtue, apparently.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

It is coming along nicely now and the fin repair looks really good. I would be pleased with that.

Are you sorted with the spring seats? I can sort some for you if not so shout up mate.

KK

Karl
    Participant

Morning KK

Yes if you could sort four spring seats out that would be great, I ordered the shims just in case, i wasn’t banking on  vapour blaster finding them.

Also the clutch push rod has been ground away at one end?? If you have a spare can you send one please and a tab washer for the front sprocket if you have any thanks.

Cheers karl

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Karl

I replied to this the other day but my reply isn’t here? Not sure how that has happened.

Anyway I will sort out the parts you want and let you know mate.

Cheers

KK

Karl
    Participant

Thank you 😊

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

PM sent

Karl
    Participant

Parts arrived this morning,  thanks

Karl
    Participant

Morning kk

Manual says thinnest shims are 2.2mm, mine are all 2.65mm and tight. Can you supply one 2.2mm shim and I will see what if any gap that gives me?

Karl

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Hi Karl

I only have 2 x 2.2 shims so there is a 2.3 on it’s way down to you mate which should be fine to determine the sizes you need.

Cheers

KK

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this