points / timing

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It points / timing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    beef
    Participant

well I have had a day off today so I did some work on my land rover and then felt happy enough to have a look at the z.

It grumbles and splutters but don’t start.
    I think having done some other things on it that the points or timing may be at fault.

so took the point cover off, turned bike over on key, no movement of the points. so turned it slowly with a ratchet and the points only open a tiny amount. I mean about a millimetre if that, the opening is almost un-noticeable. an no spark is obvious

so the questions are…

A- should the points have a gap when at the f mark?

B- if not then at what mark?

C- what size gap.

D- how much should they move when working.

E- am I right in thinking the timing is set at the f mark. that’s what I have found out through the internet.

cheers
    beef

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I am trying to post sections from the manual which I have as a PDF file but can’t work out how to do it!!!!!

Yes the ‘F’ mark is the timing mark and should align with the cast line at the top of the points housing as the points first open.

Points Gap
    The points gap is 0.3 to 0.4 mm (11 to 16 thou) but is not that critical as it is when they open that really counts which is governed by the timing. This should be set when the points are at their max opening. IE when the points dog is at the top of the cam lobe.

Timing
    The timing in my opinion is best set using a bulb and wire. To do this wrap a wire around the body a single filament 12v bulb such as an indicator bulb. Connect the other end of the wire to the spring on the points taking care that it does not short to anything else or restrict the movement of the points. The centre connection then needs to be fixed to earth on the bike engine for example. Remove the plug caps (to prevent accidental firing of the engine) and turn on the ignition.

Using a 17mm spanner or socket rotate the engine ANTICLOCKWISE and you will see the bulb light up when the points open. Rotate the engine again and set the points plate so the bulb first lighte when the ‘F’ mark and timing mark are aligned and tighten up the points plate and recheck adjusting as required.

I hope this answers your problem but if you have any further issues shout up

beef
    Participant

So the points should be open at the f mark.

and I have the light bulb. Saw it in you tube so that’s the route I went.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Yes. The bulb should light up as the ‘F’ mark and timing mark align

beef
    Participant

Well nothing. Tried the bulb method and nothing.
    Tested the coil. Nothing at both ends. Moved a wire all dash lights went out.

I think the answer is a rewire. New coils. Point. Condenser. Battery.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That does indeed sound like a major wiring connection issue. Can’t you check it through yourself? Maybe its just a connector come out? Have you asked Hoggy?

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I’ve just spoken to Hoggy and he has explained a bit about how it is wired so I think I understand better what your problems could be. I have sent you a Private Message

beef
    Participant

am off tomorrow and would love to get this bugger running, KK tried ringing a couple of times but no answer.

can you post on here what I need to do…

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

PM sent mate. Hoggy said he has moved the electric units from under the side panels to under the seat unit and the wires are on full stretch. He said that its prob connectors pulled out. Also you have B1 electrics and an un butchered harness so shouldn’t be too difficult to sort out

beef
    Participant

Still not had time to look at it. Been working and doing my bathroom up because swmbo said I had to finish off after 8 months……

beef
    Participant

Just thinking about the bike and am sat here wondering do the the wires from the regulator all need to be wired up to something else.
    The green wire on mine us not connected because it was wired to the indicators which have come off

Tango
    Participant

Hell After 8 months I would have disappeared!

My Wife would have a well fed flower bed though!

Yer I think you had better not push that one anymore Beef! LoL

Arrr Well dont Worrie I have enough to keep this lot busy!! 🙂

beef
    Participant

its done now, just in time for my long week end and my week off in a couple of weeks.

coincidental…. haha..

just got to figure the wires now and then get it sorted.

want it back on the road

Tango
    Participant

You Go Beef!

Have you got your Wire diagrams?

beef
    Participant

I have got a diagram for it.
    It’s not exactly standard so not 100% how accurate the diagram will be…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this