points / timing

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Technical Garage How To Fix It points / timing

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    beef
    Participant

there is a connector in the yellow one but the blue is a direct feed to the points, one wire unbroken.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

It has to have a connector or you would not be able to change the coil without major surgery. If there isn’t one as shown in Tango’s picture then someone has modified it for whatever reason

beef
    Participant

There is a spade connector on the back of the coil and the blue pushes straight onto it.
    The yellow goes from a spade connector to a bullet connector then into main loom to handle bars.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Right that gives me a picture. You have an aftermarket coil. You can still carry out the test with the coils spade connectors.

beef
    Participant

Right oh. Will do later.

Would a coil off a gt550 work on it. Got a spare one of them in the box of bits.

Michael
    Participant

Hi beef,

that coil might work but it is not the correct one, as GT550 has pointless ignition.
    The coils for breaker and pointless ignitions have different impedance/resistance.
    Can’t remember out of my head which is which but ones have approx 2 Ohm, the others have approx 5 Ohm impedance.
    No idea what will happen if you use the “wrong” one ?!?

You may look for a coil with dual output (!) from other breaker ignition models. Make and model is equal, maybe some mechanical issue to fix them again.

Cheers, Michael

beef
    Participant

Cheers for that Michael.
    Won’t risk it then. Don’t want to make it worse.
    will have to wait for pay day and then get a new one.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I am sure someone will have one off a B1. I might even have one myself knocking about

Tango
    Participant

Zpower Do an aftermarket one for £30

dougyt
    Participant

I have the Zpower aftermarket one on my bike (My coils failed the first time I rode the bike) and they have been fine for the last 7 years and nearly 100 miles (It’s really much more than that but it would only have invited some comment about lack of miles done from KK)

Tango
    Participant

Pmsl Nearly Spat my Brew out then Dougyt 🙂
    7 years to do 100 miles!! 😀

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

The only reason he managed 100 miles was perpetual motion. He is like one of those super tankers that needs a 10 mile turning radius

beef
    Participant

well I have done what I did not and can not afford to do, I have booked it in with a mechanic to have a look at. I am dropping it off with him Thursday and the guy it is going to only does older bikes, so fingers crossed I will have an answer by next week end,

Tango
    Participant

It will be worth it Beef!

You have done a lot to tracing the problem down. So it should be a good starting Point for a professional to find the root of your problem?

beef
    Participant

had a bit of a surprise today, my mate came round and said ‘lets get it sorted’

didn’t take him long, said battery is fubar and after fitting a replacement on, he declared the coil fubar too.

so gonna order a coil and battery and then see if it works. if not then there is still the guy in place for Thursday.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this