Transformation of “Jekyll ‘n’ Hide”

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Your Lonesome and you Transformation of “Jekyll ‘n’ Hide”

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hi KK,

I haven’t fully examined Maria’S starter motor yet.
    Looks like the contacts / coals are worn, the inner gasket was missing and grease from the mechanical side arrived in the electrical side.
    A lot of dirt (black dust and grease) in the electrical side.

I have dismantled three starter motors at the same time !
    Maria’s slow one, one with an earthing error in the four outer coils to body (175 Ohms instead of infinite) and one where the main connection stud was turned and the inner electrical connections (kind of massive cable) broke off where they should be soft-soldered to the stud.

The final solution was to grab a charged battery and a pair of jumper cables and to test the starter motors of my spare engines. I’ve found one that was powerful enough to turn a Twin motor which was standing there for years. I grabbed that one, didn’t open it and fixed it to Maria’s LTD. After some starting attempts (motor didn’t run for at least half a year, carbs not cleaned, only very little amount of old fuel in tank, etc.) and warming up the motor I’ve tested to electric start the motor again approx 5 times. It started every time from just touching the starter button, let me say instantaneous 🙂

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

I didn’t work on JoH today, but there are some photos available:
    One of them shows accidentally the JoH 🙂

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am on Holidays this week but stay at home 🙂
    Use the time to work in the garden and on the bikes.
    Fitted the new rear fairing to JoH.
    It is hinged at the rear and can be folded up to the back !
    That gives full Access to battery and electrical components.
    Will do more electrical / electro-mechanical work today, e.g. adding PLUS cables to the Dirtbike to get starter and ignition running.

Will post some Pictures later today 😉

Cheers, Michael

PS: Front wheel bearings of my Honda VFR750 are ruined. Brown Juice is dripping out of them 🙁
    Looks like the sealing rings are worn and water ingressed and led to rust. Awaiting delivery of new bearings and sealings tomorrow.

Tango
    Participant

Good Luck with all of that Michael

And Enjoy your week off.:-)

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Not long to go now Michael. Chop Chop :hammer:

Michael
    Participant

Honda VFR: Front wheel bearings and sealing changed. That was an easy job 🙂

Maria’s LTD: Swapped rear mudguard to a short CSR version, swapped rear inner mudguard to a non broken one. Swapped rear light incl blinker arms to a not bend (= straight) one.
    Tried to fit luggage carrier and found that it doesn’t match the LTD frame. Latches are about 1 cm to short and seat / bench can’t be fully opened as it touches grab rail. Stopped that action.

Dirtbike: Main switch wired correctly. Starter motor is working, but starter clutch is defective. Kickstarter shaft is bent, so kicker get stuck in the downward position when used.
    No sparks yet. Will have a further look today.

JoH:

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Pond is ready as well:

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

That’s a great idea with the hinged seat Michael. Is that the actual battery we can see?

I do like the pond. Any fish in it?

Michael
    Participant

There are only some goldfish in the “lower” pond (could be seen in foreground at first picture)
    The new “upper” pond (second picture) has a runlet to lower pond.
    A solar powered pump sucks water from lower pond and expells it to the upper pond.
    Both ponds are just approx 50 cm away from each other and at full water level the upper level is just 3 cm higher than lower level.
    Upper level will stay constant, lower level may vary depending on weather conditions (evaporisation)

No plans to have fish in the upper pond. We naturally have some frogs, toads and newts.
    Fish are eating their spawn and I want to avoid that in that pond 🙂

This battery is smaller than stock.
    It has just 10 Ah. Most batts in same size are offered as 9 Ah batts.
    The width of this battery is a bit more than stock. It doesn’t fit into stock battery box !

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Newt:

Tango
    Participant

Smooth Newts? or is it the bigger Great Crested Newt.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

sorry, no idea !
    I have difficulties to specify them in german language. To get that translated is out of my scope right now 🙂

They are protected and I’ve caught this one by accident when cleaning the pond. Picked the glass and got it in there for approx. 10 minutes to have a closer look.
    After that it was released again 🙂

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Started working on JoH again 🙂

Late afternoon / evening sun was shining into my garage.
    Here is JoH “live” 🙂

Did some more work after that picture was taken :-)))

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

We had a public holiday yesterday and I had one day off today 🙂

Was working on JoH:

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Is JoH the one that’s coming to Belgium with Maria’s Y and Nil’s Scrambler?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this