Transformation of “Jekyll ‘n’ Hide”

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Your Lonesome and you Transformation of “Jekyll ‘n’ Hide”

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

more pics

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I am loving how this is progressing. The gas struts look very cool and the electrics are tidying up very nicely. Keep it there is only 3 weeks to go now eeeekkkkk!!!!!

Michael
    Participant

Hi KK,

I know clock is ticking 🙂
    I am out in the garage every day now to achieve some more progress 🙂
    Weather is fine as well and I want to ride this bike !
    It is so cool 🙂
    Wonna hear the sound of the new exhaust. Have never heard it by now !
    CU on “Jekyll or Hyde” in Belgium :-)))

Finish / paint will not be perfect, but bike / frame is from 1976, so it is 38 years old now.

Will do it nice and working for Belgium but on the long run it will be dismantled completely again.
    Powdercoating the frame and wheels, painting other parts, chrome here and there, cleaning the engine, the typical stuff to restore an old bike 🙂

Deadline is Thursday, 12th of June, in the evening, no extension ! 🙂

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

EEEEEEEEEEKKKK!

I’m in the same position with my CSR. Mechanically it is sound and the cosmetic side is ok but the finishing will be done properly after I have proved her when we go to Belgium. I’ve not to much to do now. Fit rear light bracket. Make a couple of exhaust brackets. New fuel pipes. New carb clamps and a good clean n polish. I’ve over stuff to get on with as well but I should be ok for time

Tango
    Participant

Not far off myself now either!

Just my front foot rests with new mounting rubbers & foot rest washers and some stainless nuts, I also have a new clutch adjuster as mine is rusty. 😮 Rusty Parts?? :hammer: I think Not! 😕

I have to try and keep somewhere near your standards 🙂

I also have a 12v waterproof power socket so I will fit that as well as it will be handy to be able to have a charging point on the bike for Phones, Sat Navs or Cameras 😀

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

don’t worry !
    You will find a lot of exciting solutions at “Jekyll or Hyde” and a close to very good working bike, but there are still a lot of old and sometimes rusty parts on it 🙂

Work is never done if you love and ride your youngtimer bike ;-)))
    Or is it already an Oldtimer ?

In Germany we can get an “H” on the number plate if the bike (or car) is close to stock and older than 30 years !
    The “H” stands for “historic” !
    It doesn’t bring any (tax) advantage using that on the 750Twins, so no one is going for it.
    With “old” cars it is very common as you can save a lot of tax and you are allowed to enter pollution restricted city areas!

My “J or H” can’t get it at all.
    It has matching age, but overall appearance is way to far from stock !

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Ok, will step out in the garage to do more work on the electrics.

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Hi guys,

as I use an aftermarket ignition switch, an aftermarket rectifier and flasher switch, Honda handlebar switches and I want to integrate an intelligent “start control system”, it is hard to find the correct wiring scheme 🙁

Made several wiring progress, eg. alternator, neutral, oil pressure and (additional) side stand switch (re-)wiring without any connectors used all the way up to the underseat electric area. Cables run in the middle of the bike, right in between the K+N-airfilters/Pods.

But at this stage I have to admit that I can’t understand the logic behind the 4-pole ignition switch ?
    Was in use before but that was reduced to 2-pole switching (ON / OFF).
    Want to improve that situation.

Refused to use that fucking 4-pole switch!
    Ordered a 6-pole ignition switch today, which logic I understand 🙂
    May arrive hopefully on Saturday, but may be here Monday as well 🙁

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

Totally agree there Michael. The 2 pole switches are obviously straight forward and the 6 pole have a more dedicated circuits whereas the 4 pole have some circuits combined. It is not always as simple as bridge wires it also depends what bridging is done inside the switch. There are quite a few different configurations of these and finding the right one is not always straight forward.

Michael
    Participant

Made some progress 🙂
    Currently use temporary 12V DC input as ignition switch will be here by Monday 🙁
    Got the head lights on, switchable as they should be 🙂
    Low beam ok and high beam with blue control LED as well.
    Use extrem slim cables to wire the LEDs used as signal lamps and front parking light (“ring of 8 LEDs”).
    Will do that with rear light and brake light as well, as that is LED, too.
    That causes additional attention using the crimping tool and it is not working perfect with these very slim cables (AWG18/0.82mm² and AWG20/0.52mm²).
    Made some crimpings today with the slim cables attached to the LED signal lamps, but could remove some connectors just by pulling them apart.

Got the clutch switch (at clutch hand lever) back in action.
    Plan is to make it obligatory to pull clutch lever first, before starter motor will turn. (As known from CSRs)

Side stand switch, Kill switch and Neutral indicator switch should be combined in a way, that it is possible to start the bike on side stand and Neutral engaged. If side stand is still engaged but one shifted to first gear ignition will go off.
    Would be a copy of todays security features !

Didn’t work on flashers or brake light yet.

BTW:
    As “JoH” is going to be black again, it may be renamed !
    “Back in Black” !!!

Cheers, Michael

Tango
    Participant

AC/DC Crimping Master Rides Back in Black!…. Michael your just to Rock & Roll 🙂

Michael
    Participant

“Rock ‘n’ Roll ain’t noise polution” 🙂
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_KJLQ6l8Po

“Back in Black” !

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

I am liking this rename of your bike Michael.

Should we have a renaming ceremony at the meeting in Belgium and make it official? I have the Music 😀

Michael
    Participant

Hi KK,

good idea 🙂
    Please don’t prepare the bottle of Champagne to hit the bike for renaming 🙂

Did some good progress yesterday and today.
    Ignition switch didn’t arrive yet but I managed to wire and test all electrical circuit using temporary connections to PLUS 12 V 🙂

Except the Horn and the security functions to start the bike (additional side stand switch, neutral indicator integration and clutch lever switch) everything is done and working properly 🙂
    Including control/signal lamps.
    What a hazzle !

Finished the day in the garage with connecting the ignition, swapping the starter relais and finally bridge it to start the engine 🙂
    After a few attempts and as good as the starter clutch allowed it, “Back in Black” finally fired up !!!

First time that I could hear the sound from the new exhaust 🙂
    What should I say, it’s great !!!
    Bit to loud to be treated legal in Germany, but very clear articulation of the engine.
    Lovin’ it !!!
    You can set the idle revs as low as you like and engine is still running and vibrating 🙂

Hope ignition switch will arrive tomorrow.
    Will wire it up and then bike season 2014 can start on “Back in Black” as well.

Front mud guard and fuel tank are already repainted to semi gloss black 🙂
    Best wishes from the rattle cans !

After finishing the electrics I only have to laminate / work with glassfiber, to get rear fairing finished.
    … and to “Paint it Black”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-7TRVsArgI

Cheers, Michael

Michael
    Participant

Ok, pictures are old !
    They were taken yesterday !
    Today most of the “chaos” is sorted and “PLUS 12V DC” connections are waiting to be connected to new ignition switch !

Maria visiting me in my garage.
    My garage, my rules !

Cheers, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this