Flat Tracker

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 240 total)
  • Author
    beachcomber
    Participant

KK ….. thanx for getting my grey cells working !

How’s about spraying in silver / alloy finish – so it looks LIKE a metal tag !Even drill a couple of holes and put some blind rivets in.

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

There’s several possibilities. To me if you can’t hide it, feature it.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Beachcomber,

making it look like a tag is fantastic !
    Drilling holes and using rivets, I would not go for that.
    Maybe some fine black (golden?) lines / pinstriping around the “tag” ?

Good progress 😉

Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

That’s a good option Michael.

Plan B – I found a place in India that makes brass generic chassis plates to stamp / engrave yourself.
    Their text [ “Quote Chassis Number” ] is nicely embossed and you then simply stamp / engrave your OEM number in the blank space.

Options at least.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Beachcomber,
    nice plate !
    In Germany we have to have a stamped number directly in the frame tube (typical steering head tube) and an additional “type tag” riveted to the frame.
    Don’t know how this is handled in the UK ?
    Cheers, Michael

beachcomber
    Participant

Exactly the same Michael – the plate on it’s own would not be legal for an OEM bike.

However, the original stamped # is unmolested and will be underneath the plate – if I go that direction.

My BMW Kays have a stamped number on the lower frame tube – and a riveted plate on the headstock.

beachcomber
    Participant

I’ve ordered one of those Brass vin plates from India – we’ll see.

Now then, having trouble deciding on the colour for the “tins”.

I KNOW this isn’t usual “Classic” / Restorer fodder – but I’m hoping there may be someone out there with good colour co-ordination !

Yellow is getting the nod on one of my other forum / club threads. Maybe with some white.

I have a very violent Yellow I painted one of my 356 Speedster replicas, but a Paler shade I did a customer car in is also getting attention.

Any offers ?

Michael
    Participant

Hi Beachcomber,

I love the violent yellow !

I don’t like the pale yellow, but that may lead us to mild beige.
    Beige color, brown leather seat and grips and white stripes may be an “old school” alternative.
    Adding some sort of “knee pads” or even a blank (not painted) part of the tank in that area may complete that look.
    Polished part often seen at partialy painted aluminium tanks.

One of “my” guys said:
    “You can’t beat blue when it comes to bike color!”
    He prefers a light blue metallic color.
    Would that be an option?
    Don’t think so with the red frame !

As I have a lot of black bikes, I will do one in white next time (not a Kawa Twin).
    I am faszinated by the Gulf Racing design and may use that when time comes 😉

Cheers, Michael

PS: Nice cars 😉

beachcomber
    Participant

Michael – been following your engine build – very useful – thanx.

OK – I have several rattle cans in various colours on the way to me that will hopefully help me to make a final decision colourwise !

The Brass vin plate arrived from India [ 1 week ! ] – spot on, very well made and just the right size. I’ll get the chassis number engraved on it then it’s ready to fit.

beachcomber
    Participant

The paint cans I ordered have arrived now – together with the “mini-flake” samples.

I just ordered some random colours to make certain they would work in a clear lacquer suspension.

One of the colours is a Pale Yellow” !!! Could be the one …………….

beachcomber
    Participant

Here’s the Mini-Flake samples I ordered. I’ll paint up a few sample panels as soon as the weather brightens / I get my new “workshop” weather-tight !

Michael
    Participant

That flake stuff looks interesting 😉
    Looking forward to the test samples.

Good luck improving your workshop !

Cheers, Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

As Michael says very interesting.

I too look forward to seeing your samples sir.

beachcomber
    Participant

I hope to test out the flake in the next 2 weeks. Just need to get my new “workshop” weather tight ! At least the roof panels didn’t blow off last night.

Apparently [?] modern flake is a plastic material – as are the samples I have – so, theoretically [ and we know how that works ! ]it should be the same method of application.

Rear wheel bearings are now removed, courtesy of pal, and yes the wheel bearings are as new – AND have been removed without damage.

Front wheel off to a local machine shop next week – if that fails I have an offer from KK to save the day !

beachcomber
    Participant

RESULT ………………. front wheel spindle now removed – courtesy of a big engineering vice and a 6′ breaker bar !

Many thanx KK for the kind offer of alternate parts.

Again, as the PO said – the bearings are as new.

No excuses now, wheels off to be blasted and powder coated this week.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 240 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this