B1 Project Started.

Home Forums All Things 750 Twin Projects and Progress New Projects B1 Project Started.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Tango
    Participant

Well small Victory is mine!

The Wheel is back on and built up.

The studs were taken from a kit when I went to pay for them! Many thanks to Zpower for that. It meant that as I had finished work early I could get the job finished today! Instead of weekend

Tango
    Participant

I did learn that Not Only is there a correct way for the Lower Axle clamps to fit to the bike!

(Arrows to the front!)

I also learnt that there was a correct way to tighten the nuts up!

1st the front nuts finger tight until there is NO! gap and then the rears finger tight this should leave a small gap at the rear Only!

Then torq down to correct tension!

:pint:
    Tango-kawasaki-z750-project

Tango
    Participant

Opps Try it not on its side!

Tango
    Participant

Not been on for a few days I’m off work today, So i’m taking the carbs off to get ready for fitting the GPZ500s carbs.
    Before I took the carbs off I thought Id do a quick compression test, I only had a push in type, And I did it with a cold engine, ( I know it should be warmed up! But I just wondered?)
    I took both plugs out,and put full Throttle on? Don’t know why full throttle but that’s what it said in the manual.
    I got 120psi on both cylinders.
    So i’m hoping this should go up when the engine is warm?

Normal psi is 156 Service limit is 114 or 14psi difference between cylinders.

Tango
    Participant

OK I have managed to get the GPZ500s
    Carb conversion on, I have used CSR 34mm mounting rubbers, these are the same hole spacing as the original B1 rubbers, and the same length.( No Spacer needed)
    All I have to do now is some kind of choke conversion? as the GPZ carbs are a Cable pull choke, not a leaver on the side like the original B1 carbs.

Tango
    Participant

As I had to have the throttle cables off to swap the carbs, I have fitted a pair of Z1 New switch gears while I was at it!This now has completed the full new wiring system! They have a couple of extra wires? But I have all functions,so I’m not sure what they do..or did on the Z1 But it appears I don’t need them?

Tango
    Participant

OK Onward and upward…Getting closer to this thing being near to ready! 😀

I’m looking for an oil leak now coming from the right hand engine case? KK said most likely the block where the wires come through as its a common place for the 750 Twins to leak from.
    But I’m guessing that No Gasket wouldn’t help much either!…Opps 😳
    While I have got the clutch cable case off, I will swap the clutch cable over, the one I fitted seams to long,We think it is one of the CSR? But as I have a much shorter one,that must be the one for mine.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

good job done!

Clutch cables of LTD/CSR are longer than the B ones, depending on the shape of the steering bar.

Cheers,
    Michael

Kaptainkwak
    Keymaster

It is indeed a job well done Michael and in a very short time too.

The clutch cable problem is music too my ears laa laa laa la 😀 😀

Tango
    Participant

Cheers Guys.

At least I know at a push I can fit a CSR / LTD clutch cable now! May be a bit long but it would get me home!

I am Now on the Final Leg! Parts are starting to go back on the bike now!

One thing I wasn’t happy about fitting K&Ns was the lack of protection from the elements the battery & the electrics had. Loosing the Air box left things just a little to open for me.

So I decided to modify an old air box to see what I could come up with to get some of that protection back?

Tango
    Participant

Left the front and the mounting tabs, But cut the back of the air box away.

Tango
    Participant

There is still plenty of room behind it, But it offers a lot more protection for the battery.

Tango
    Participant

It also neatens things up a little I think,and it may just help me with a Mounting point for the choke conversion for the GPZ carbs. 😉

gr8fulzed
    Participant

nice build, just read it from the start. i am interested in the gpz500 carb conversion, i am building a 750 b2 and am not far off but am struggling to work out which jets i’ll need. I like the idea of an alternative choice for the carbs. your bike will be really nice when its done, lots of hard work gone into it.

Michael
    Participant

Hi Tango,

you can smuggle at least one bottle of Whiskey in that space ;-)))

I am riding an LTD with K+Ns for more than 15 years and a B with K+Ns for 4 years now and it worked fine so long. No additional hastle caused by reduced protection.

Even in the worst weather conditions (rain, storm, cold temps, lot of water on the road, etc.) not an issue 😉

Go on and build your smuggler bike ;-)))
    The Zmuggler,
    Cheers, Michael

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share this